The four and a half hectare heritage site was part of the world-famous Nobelius Nursery, started in 1886 by Swedish immigrant Carl Axel Nobelius.
The nursery exported fruit and ornamental trees to five continents and, through the supply of exotic trees to municipalities throughout Australia, had a significant influence on the nation's landscapes. The nursery covered more than 650 hectares at its peak just before WWI, employed 80 people and was the largest exporter of fruit and ornamental trees in the Southern Hemisphere.
The park is preserved as a remnant of this historic enterprise, with many specimens of trees once stocked by the nursery. Nobelius Heritage Park and Emerald Museum (NHPEM) Friends Group is a group of like minded people looking after the park for the enjoyment of locals and visitors alike. Both the Emerald Museum and the Nobelius
Heritage Park are managed by a volunteer committee under the authority of Cardinia Shire Council.
You can combine a visit to Emerald Museum with a walk in this beautiful park.